Menu
Cart 0

Candle Safety

Safety Information

The burning of candles soy melts uses a flame and therefore, requires an elevated level of safety is to be observed. Naked flames should never be left untended, in drafty areas or near unsupervised children or pets.

Never add water or try to dilute our products as this may cause a fire, spluttering and personal injury.
If you are using an eclectic oil burner ensure that it is switched off when unattended and do not burn for more than four (4) hours at a time. Melts may smoke or burn when heated for too long.

We buy our wicks from Australian suppliers and do not use lead wicks.

You must read the safety information printed on the base of each candle and any other printed information supplied with each of our orders. A comprehensive guide to candle safety can be found on the National Candle Association, web site; Candle Safety Rules http://www.candles.org/safety_rules.html

Our products should never be used for anything other than their intended purpose. None of our product are edible and should be kept away from children and pets and never be ingested. In the event that this occurs you should contact your local Hospital, Poisons information service or ambulance for advice.

If you are buying as a gift please ensure that all handling and safety information is passed on in full and the glassware is adequately wrapped to prevent beakage when transported. 

Always remove wrapping before lighting the candle;

  • Always read and follow the manufacturer's use and safety instructions carefully. Don't burn a candle longer than four (4 hours).
  • When using our candles for the first time and each subsequent time, please burn until the wax has melted across the jar to prevent tunneling. This will allow you to get the most out of your candle;
  • Never burn a candle for longer than four hours at a time. After the maximum recommended burn time, let it cool;
  • Trim the wick to around 6 mm - 8 mm before each use and remove any spent wick debris. This encourages an even burn while helping to eliminate dripping and smoking; Long or crooked wicks cause uneven burning and dripping;
  • Always use candles on a on a stable surface and a tray. Never place the candle directly on a table or any other surface that may be subject to damage;
  • Never leave burning candles unattended or near combustible materials;
  • Keep candles out of reach of children and pets;
  • Always burn candles in draught-free areas;
  • Never move burning candles as the wax could spill and cause severe burns or personal injury;
  • Don't burn candles completely . Extinguish the flame if it comes too close to the holder or container. For a margin of safety, discontinue burning a candle when 13 mm (1/2 inch) of wax remains in the a container;
  • Never extinguish candles with water;
  • Extinguish a candle if it smokes flickers repeatedly, or the flame becomes too high. The candle isn't burning properly and the flame isn't controlled. Let the candle cool, trim the wick, and then check for drafts before re-lighting.
  • A burning candle may generate significant heat above the flame, so always position well away from combustible materials;
  • When lighting a candle using a match, take care to prevent any match debris from dropping onto the candle. A gas lighter is a good alternative to using matches;
  • Burn times for our candles can vary according to their size and burning environment;
  • Always keep the wax pool free from foreign objects such as wick trimmings, wick particles and match debris
  • During the warmer months, candles should be stored in an upright position as a hot day could melt the wax and the container will re-solidify in an uneven position.
  • Always burn candles responsibly.
  • In the event of a Wax Pool Fire, do not throw water onto it as this will cause the candle to "explode" due to the water suddenly turning to steam on contact with the hot wax. Either blow it out, smother it with a fire blanket or use a fire extinguisher. Do not attempt to move the candle while the wax is on fire.

Melts

  • Never leave a lit tea light unattended;

  • Do not light the melt directly; it is not a candle as it has no wick.

  • You must never add water, oil, or any other liquid to the dish when using a melt as this will lead to spluttering, cause burns, saddling, eye damage or fire.

  • Burn for no longer than 4 hours at a time. ( good way not to exceed this is to always use a 4 hour tea light);

  • The wax will remain after the 20 hour burn time however the scent will have been spent;

  • Extinguish the tea light and allow the melt to harden;

  • Soften the wax by placing a tea light under the oil burner for a few minutes (do not melt). Then blow the candle out. Push the wax out into a waste container, paper or plastic; ;

  • Never discard or wash the wax down the sink;

  • Discard into the general domestic waste;

  • Place wax in a waste bag and dispose of as general waste:

Reed Diffuser

Reed diffusers work continuously and look elegant in your office, home. Our Reed Diffusers will last for more 6 months or more if used correctly. Reed diffusers generally look the same over time except for the lowering of the liquid in the bottle (the colour of the liquid may change over time as well). For safety and to get the most from our reed diffusers you should:

  • Keep diffuser and reeds out of reach of children and pets.
  • Place your diffuser on a saucer;
  • Turn reeds upside down each week;
  • Take care not to turn over timber, polished or varnished surfaces etc. as the Fragrance may react;
  • Never place fragrance in an oil burner;
  • Do not ingest:

Jars and Glass Safety

Many of our products are fragile made of glass or ceramics. These items can break if dropped, knocked or over heated. While accidents happen we want to ensure that any clean up is carried out safely and provide the following as a guide to prevent accidental damage or for the subsequent clean up.
The amount of force needed to remove the lids on our jars varies from jar to jar. The lids are to keep dust out and aid in snuffing the candle. For lids that are difficult to remove we recommend the following simple steps.

  • Firmly hold the jar with two hands clasped round the jar;
  • With your thumbs on either side gently push the lid up;
  • Rotate the jar sideways and using your thumbs ease the lid up;
  • Continue this process till the lid is released:

Practical Issues for Cleaning up Broken Glass

  • Avoid generating broken glass
  • Never allow children to clean up Brocken glass.
  • Children should be taught to notify a responsible adult if they break a see broken glass etc. and leave it alone.
  • Store glass and fragile items safely where they are unlikely to get accidentally knocked or collided with.
  • Under no circumstances should broken glass or similar items be placed in normal office waste paper bin or with green waste;
  • Broken glass should be carefully collected and wrapped in several layers of newspaper or similar and taped up. (consider wearing gloves to protect your hands)
  • Packages should then be placed in waste container (rubbish bin) and not left for unsuspecting people or family to deal with.
  • If possible, a dustpan and brush should be used to clear up broken glass, particularly where there are small pieces or shards. If a dustpan and brush are not practicable, exercise great care, bearing in mind the dangers of broken glass.
  • Remember that broken glass may be very small and difficult to see
  • Never walk on a floor with bare feet until you are 100% satisfied that you have removed all of the glass.
  • Remember - if you spill or break something, it is your responsibility to clean it up, or at least contact someone else who can assist.